We’ve talked about DreamWorks Animation (DWA) on this blog before. Last weekend, DreamWorks released a movie called Rise of the Guardians.
Here is a list of original computer animated solo productions by DreamWorks and how each movie opened in the U.S. All amounts are adjusted for inflation.
- Kung Fu Panda: $67 million
- Monsters vs. Aliens: $63 million
- Shark Tale: $61 million
- Madagascar: $58 million
- Over the Hedge: $47 million
- Megamind: $46 million
- Bee Movie: $44 million
- How to Train Your Dragon: $44 million
- Puss in Boots: $35 million
- Antz: $29 million
- Rise of the Guardians: $24 million
Rise of the Guardians cost $145 million. DreamWorks has had worse opening weekends. But none were computer animated solo productions. They were either hand drawn movies – which DreamWorks no longer makes – or movies made with Aardman.
DreamWorks’s stock dropped on Monday. Shares now trade at $17.30.